- A mechanical device that can carry out an action when programmed by a human. It can Sense (take distance feedback, color feedback, gyro feedback), Plan (use that feedback to make a decision or action), and Act (act upon that decision).
- The power in a device that makes it work.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
General notes on encouraging vocabulary usage with young children:
- The goal is to introduce Computer Science (CS) and Spatial Language vocabulary to young children as they explore computer science ideas with concrete objects, not to make them memorize vocabulary.
- Teach Computer Science and Spatial Language vocabulary as naturally as you would introduce the names of different foods, animals or toys.
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
- Highlight vocabulary in action - as students are getting to know their robots, and you hear them using the correct words to explain things, positively reinforce those moments by writing down the phrases and displaying them with your 123 Documentation.
- Frequently Ask Questions - give students time and space to be able to ask questions about what things do, and how they work. Offer opportunities for them to share what they wonder about in class and group discussions. Many of those questions will be answered through use of the 123 Robot, and future vocabulary can be made more relevant when related back to these initial questions and queries.