- The act of moving.
- A push or pull that can change an object’s motion.
- The order in which commands are executed, one after another.
- Drive for (steps) block:
- Moves the 123 Robot either forward or reverse for a given number of robot steps.
- Turn right block:
- Moves the 123 Robot right 90 degrees.
- Turn left block:
- Moves the 123 Robot left 90 degrees.
- When started block:
- Runs the attached stack of blocks when the project is started.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
General notes on encouraging vocabulary usage with young children:
- The goal is to introduce vocabulary to young children as they explore Computer Science ideas with concrete objects, not to make them memorize vocabulary.
- Teach Computer Science vocabulary as naturally as you would introduce the names of different foods, animals or toys.
- The more children hear Computer Science words used with activities, the more they will begin to use it correctly. Reinforce Computer Science vocabulary with everyday things. Whether through pointing out when a push or pull takes place during recess or at dismissal, finding these authentic ways to use vocabulary is essential.
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
- Inventor Cards: Allow students to make a card to be at their desk throughout the unit. On the card, encourage students to fill in sentences stems like, “I’m a computer scientist because…” throughout the unit. As a vocabulary word is introduced fill in the sentence stem. Here are some examples using vocabulary words in the unit:
- Motion - “I can use motion by…”
- Force - “Force can be seen in..”
- Behavior - “As a computer scientist, my 123 Robot shows a behavior by…”
- Turn right - “My VEXcode 123 project tells the 123 Robot to turn right by...”
- Authentic Photographs: Display pictures of how each vocabulary word is used around the room. For example, a roller coaster which shows “motion” or someone pushing a door which shows “force.”
- Word Detective/Scavenger Hunt: This activity can be implemented during the middle of the unit. The teacher will hide words around the room. Students will find a word and work with a partner to define the word, draw a picture, and use it in a sentence.