- A characteristic which is passed from parent to offspring.
- To receive traits from parent organisms.
- The child of parent organisms.
- A single life form such as a plant or animal.
- A group of living organisms which are capable of creating offspring.
- The differences in a species which protects a species from harm.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
The following are additional ways to facilitate vocabulary usage as students are engaged in the activities throughout this Unit.
Students should be encouraged to use the vocabulary terms:
- Throughout all of the activities
- As they are working in groups
- As they are reflecting
- As they are sharing their knowledge and experience
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
- Make it a game! Use a vocabulary word in a sentence, like “Hold up your offspring” and have students share a representation of that word. They can use things they’ve created in the Lab, or draw on a whiteboard, or write a definition. Give students ten seconds to add a fun, timed element.
- Find examples! Ask students to find an image from a book, movie, or TV show that shows a family with inherited traits. Ask students to identify the parents, offspring, and a few of their traits.