Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs
STEM Labs are designed to be the online teacher’s manual for VEX GO. Like a printed teacher’s manual, the teacher-facing content of the STEM Labs provides all of the resources, materials, and information needed to be able to plan, teach, and assess with VEX GO. The Lab Image Slideshows are the student-facing companion to this material. For more detailed information about how to implement a STEM Lab in your classroom, see the Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs article.
Goals and Standards
Students will apply
- How to follow build instructions to create variations of the Bunny Traits build.
Students will make meaning of
- How variation occurs in species by modeling how traits are passed from parent bunnies to baby bunnies.
- How variation occurs in species by comparing the different traits of the baby bunnies.
Students will be skilled at
- Following build instructions for the Bunny Traits build to create several variations of a bunny.
- Recording data about traits passed from parents to offspring.
- Using data to design and build their baby bunny.
Students will know
- Traits are passed from parents to their offspring and this creates diversity in species.
- Students will model the concept of character traits and record trait data through variations of the Bunny Traits build.
- Students will choose characteristics for offspring based on the traits of the parents.
- Students will analyze the variation of traits among a species.
- In Engage and Play Part 1, students will build two parent bunnies with different traits.
- In Play Part 2, students will build a baby bunny and choose traits from the parents.
- In the Share section, students will compare their baby bunnies with their classmates.
- Students will successfully complete multiple builds of the Bunny Traits build.
- Students will record their baby bunny’s traits on the worksheet.
- As a class, students will compare the traits of their baby bunnies during the Share section to see how variation occurred in the species.
Connections to Standards
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
3-LS3-1: Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence that plants and animals have traits inherited from parents and that variation of these traits exists in a group of similar organisms.
How Standard is Achieved: In the Engage and Play Part 1 sections, students will record the traits of the Bunny Traits build parent bunnies on a Data Collection Sheet.
During the Mid-Play Break, students will engage in a discussion to compare traits of the parent bunnies they created.
In Play Part 2, students will choose which traits the baby bunny will inherit based on the parents, and record these inherited traits on the Data Collection Sheet.
In the Share section, students will compare all baby bunnies to observe how variation of traits occurred in similar organisms.