Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs
STEM Labs are designed to be the online teacher’s manual for VEX GO. Like a printed teacher’s manual, the teacher-facing content of the STEM Labs provides all of the resources, materials, and information needed to be able to plan, teach, and assess with VEX GO. The Lab Image Slideshows are the student-facing companion to this material. For more detailed information about how to implement a STEM Lab in your classroom, see the Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs article.
Goals and Standards
Students will apply
- Plotting points on a coordinate plane during the Battle Boats game.
Students will make meaning of
- Using a coordinate plane to plot specific points.
Students will be skilled at
- Plotting points on a coordinate plane.
- Building the Battle Boats using the VEX GO kit.
- Playing the Battle Boats game.
Students will know
- How to plot a point on a coordinate plane.
- How to play the Battle Boats game.
- That a coordinate plane has an x and y axis.
- Students will identify how to plot points on a coordinate plane.
- Students will identify where to plot points on a coordinate plane during the Battle Boats game in the Play section.
- During the Share section, students will identify how they plotted points on coordinate planes during the game. By describing their process, students will show if they know how to accurately plot points on a coordinate plane.
Connections to Standards
Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.G.A.2: Represent real world and mathematical problems by graphing points in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane, and interpret coordinate values of points in the context of the situation.
How Standard is Achieved: In Lab 1, students will build and use a coordinate plane in the Battle Boats game. During the Mid-Play Break, students will discuss how using a coordinate plane made this game possible including the challenges and successes. In Part 2, students will play the Battle Boats game with a partner plotting points on the coordinate plane during different rounds of the game.