Mechatronic Engineers research, design, develop, or test automation, intelligent systems, smart devices, or industrial systems control.
Sample of reported job titles:
- Automation Engineer
- Automation Specialist
- Controls Engineer
- Development Engineer
- Equipment Engineer
- Principal Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Senior Design Engineer
- Senior Project Engineer
Some of the common tasks carried out:
- Design engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks.
- Create mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
- Maintain technical project files.
- Implement or test design solutions.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
Critical technology skills required:
- Analytical or scientific software
- Computer aided design (CAD) software
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software/ Rapid prototyping software
- Development environment software
- Object or component oriented development software
Critical knowledge required:
- Engineering and Technology
- Computers and Electronics
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Active Listening
- Complex Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension
- Oral Comprehension
- Deductive Reasoning
- Inductive Reasoning
- Oral Expression
- Problem Sensitivity
Educational level of the surveyed Mechatronics Engineers:
- Bachelor's degree: 89%
- Some college, no degree: 7%
- Doctoral degree: 2%
- Similar to those of the robotics engineers given above
- Median wages (2019): $47.62 hourly, $99,040 annual
- Employment (2018): 157,800 employees
- Projected growth (2018-2028): Average (4% to 6%)
- Projected job openings (2018-2028): 11,700
- Top industries (2018): Government