Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs
STEM Labs are designed to be the online teacher’s manual for VEX GO. Like a printed teacher’s manual, the teacher-facing content of the STEM Labs provides all of the resources, materials, and information needed to be able to plan, teach, and assess with VEX GO. The Lab Image Slideshows are the student-facing companion to this material. For more detailed information about how to implement a STEM Lab in your classroom, see the Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs article.
Goals and Standards
Students will apply
- Using the Drive mode to remote control drive the Code Base through a slalom course.
Students will make meaning of
- How the Drive mode can be used to remote control drive a Code Base.
Students will be skilled at
- Using build instructions to build the Code Base robot.
- Connecting a Brain to a tablet or computer in VEXcode GO.
- Using the Drive mode to move the Code Base forward and reverse.
- Using the Drive mode to turn the Code Base right and left.
- Changing the Drive Mode in the Drive Tab.
- Driving the Code Base through a slalom course from beginning to end.
Students will know
- How to remote control drive the Code Base.
- Students will demonstrate how to remote control drive the Code Base using the Drive mode in VEXcode GO.
- In Play Part 1, students will practice remote control driving the Code Base using the Drive mode in VEXcode GO. They will demonstrate those skills in Play Part 2 to drive through a prescribed course.
- Students will demonstrate their knowledge by successfully navigating the course in Play Part 2 by remote control driving their Code Base using the Drive mode.
Connections to Standards
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
ISTE (1) Empowered Learner - 1c: Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
How Standard is Achieved: In Lab 1, students are introduced to the remote control Drive mode in VEXcode GO in order to drive the Code Base. After practicing in Play Part 1, they use the experience to inform and improve their practice, as they participate in a timed trial competition to drive through a slalom course in Play Part 2.