- A push or pull that causes change in speed, direction or shape of an object.
- A force that pulls objects toward the Earth.
- Simple Machine
- A device that can change the direction or strength of force, and is used to make work easier.
- A task that requires effort to complete.
- Inclined Plane
- A sloped ramp.
- A plank that moves at one fixed point.
- Pivot Point
- A single point that the lever rests on.
- A wheel with teeth used to transfer or receive force.
- When two or more gears are connected with their teeth.
- Gathered facts.
- To observe or study by close examination and systematic inquiry.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
The following are additional ways to facilitate vocabulary usage as students are engaged in the activities throughout this Unit.
Students should be encouraged to use the vocabulary terms:
- Throughout all of the activities
- As they are working in groups
- As they are reflecting
- As they are sharing their knowledge and experience
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
- Vocabulary Pictionary:
- Students draw words or phrases from the unit. They can work independently, or in teams.
- Vocabulary Bingo:
- Write a different vocabulary word in each box. A classmate can read a definition, and if a student has the correct word, they cover that box.
- Word of the Day w/ a Twist
- Choose one or two vocabulary words per day. Every time students hear the word(s), they have a 3 second dance party in their seat.
- Encourage students to use vocabulary terms while working through STEM Lab activities:
- While facilitating, remind students of the vocabulary terms.
- Praise students that use the vocabulary words in their group discussions.
- Model the correct use of the vocabulary words for the students.
- Ask students to revise their ideas by using vocabulary words or rephrasing their statements with unit vocabulary.
- Create a Word Wall.