- The state of being steady.
- The flat parts of the VEX GO Kit with either a one-hole width or two-hole width.
- The parts of the VEX GO Kit that create a right angle connection between two other pieces.
- A limitation or restriction.
- Standard by which something may be judged or decided.
- Engineering Design Process
- The Engineering Design Process (EDP) is a structured problem solving process in which students define a problem using a criteria for success and constraints for possible solutions. With the EDP, students should research, explore, and test possible solutions.
- Connect two or more pieces so that they lay flush with one another.
- Pin Tool
- Helps to separate pieces through three different functions: the Puller, the Lever, and the Pusher.
- The flat parts of the VEX GO Kit with a three-hole or greater width.
- Free from change.
- Connect two pieces but leave a space in between. Each kind of standoff has a different width gap that will be created by its use.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
The following are additional ways to facilitate vocabulary usage as students are engaged in the activities throughout this Unit.
Students should be encouraged to use the vocabulary terms:
- Throughout all of the activities
- As they are working in groups
- As they are reflecting
- As they are sharing their knowledge and experience
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
- Engage in discussions modeling "Spatial Talk" and use the following:
- Shape names: circle, triangle, square…
- Dimensional adjectives: big, small, short…
- Spatial features: straight, bent, pointy...
- Spatial location: between, behind, under…
- Ask students to gesture when explaining.
- For example, if they are explaining a piece is "across" the table, ask the students to use the gesture of pointing to an object across from them.