Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs
STEM Labs are designed to be the online teacher’s manual for VEX GO. Like a printed teacher’s manual, the teacher-facing content of the STEM Labs provides all of the resources, materials, and information needed to be able to plan, teach, and assess with VEX GO. The Lab Image Slideshows are the student-facing companion to this material. For more detailed information about how to implement a STEM Lab in your classroom, see the Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs article.
Goals and Standards
Students will apply
- How to drive their Hero Robot to deliver the blue sensor to the pipeline.
- How to drive their Hero Robot to put a broken pipeline back into place.
- How to drive their Hero Robot to deliver the purple sensor to gather data on aquatic life.
- How to score points in the competition by moving sensors and Field objects.
Students will make meaning of
- How to participate in a VEX GO competition successfully.
- How to work with a team to compete in the Lift onto the Lab Competition.
Students will be skilled at
- Constructing the Hero Robot from build instructions.
- Connecting a Brain to a tablet or computer in VEXcode GO.
- Using the Drive tab in VEXcode GO to drive and turn the Hero Robot.
- Using the Drive tab to control the arm on the Hero Robot.
- Changing the Drive Mode on the Drive tab in VEXcode GO.
- Assigning a motor to a Port in the Drive tab in VEXcode GO.
- Setting and resetting the Field for a competition match.
- Moving sensors to specific locations on the Field with the robot.
- Moving Field objects with the robot.
Students will know
- How to drive the Hero Robot to move and place sensors at specific places on the Field.
- How to move and manipulate Field objects with the Hero Robot.
- How to work with a team to participate in a competition.
- Students will demonstrate how to drive their Hero Robot to move and place sensors at specific places on the Field
- Students will demonstrate how to use the Hero Robot to move and manipulate Field objects.
- Students will demonstrate collaboration and teamwork to participate in the Data Discovery competition.
- In Play Part 1, students will learn about the different ways to score by moving the sensors to specific colored tiles on the Field, and how to move, lift, and place them using the Hero Robot. They will also learn about different ways to move and manipulate Field objects. They will then demonstrate how to use the Drive tab to successfully score points by moving the Field objects and the sensors to specific locations around the Field using their Hero Robot.
- During the Engage section, students will demonstrate their understanding of how to collaborate in a competition setting. During Play Part 1, they will take turns practicing for the competition, and will demonstrate collaborative learning as they work to move and place sensors at specific places around the Field and manipulate Field objects. In Play Part 2, students will demonstrate collaboration and teamwork as they apply their learning from Play Part 1 to score the most points they can in the competition.
- In Play Part 2, students will demonstrate how to drive their Hero Robot using the Drive tab to score points in the Data Discovery competition by moving and placing sensors at specific places around the Field and manipulating Field objects during their match.
- During Play Part 2, students will demonstrate collaboration and teamwork during the competition as they participate in their matches together, applying a driving strategy, and choosing how to score the game elements on the Field. During the Share section, students will discuss how they were a good teammate and what they learned about being on a team that helped them to be successful in the competition.
Connections to Standards
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
ISTE (1.7) Global Collaborator - 1.7c: Students contribute constructively to project teams, assuming various roles and responsibilities to work effectively toward a common goal.
How Standard is Achieved: During the Engage section, students take on various roles to collaboratively build the Hero Robot from the build instructions. In Play Part 1, students alternate between roles of driving, setting and resetting the Field, and work together to determine a strategy for how to score placing sensors at specific places on the Field. In Play Part 2, students work together to score as many points as possible in the competition by moving and placing game objects at specific places and manipulating Field objects during the match.