Goals and Standards
Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs
STEM Labs are designed to be the online teacher’s manual for VEX GO. Like a printed teacher’s manual, the teacher-facing content of the STEM Labs provides all of the resources, materials, and information needed to be able to plan, teach, and assess with VEX GO. The Lab Image Slideshows are the student-facing companion to this material. For more detailed information about how to implement a STEM Lab in your classroom, see the Implementing VEX GO STEM Labs article.
Goals and Standards
Students will apply
- How to drive their Hero Robot to move the orange sensor to the Volcano tile.
- How to use their Hero Robot to lift the orange sensor to the top of the Volcano.
- How to score points in the competition by delivering the orange sensor to the volcano and then lifting it to the top of the Volcano.
Students will make meaning of
- How to participate in a VEX GO competition successfully.
- How to work with a team to compete in the Volcano Deposit Competition.
Students will be skilled at
- Constructing the Hero Robot from build instructions.
- Connecting a Brain to a tablet or computer in VEXcode GO.
- Using the Drive tab in VEXcode GO to drive and turn the Hero Robot.
- Using the Drive tab to control the arm on the Hero Robot.
- Assigning a motor to a Port in the Drive tab in VEXcode GO.
- Setting and resetting the Field for a competition match.
- Moving the orange sensor to the volcano.
- Lifting the sensor to the top of the volcano.
Students will know
- How to drive the Hero Robot to move the sensor to the volcano.
- How to use the robot arm to lift the sensor to the top of the volcano.
- How to work with a team to participate in a competition.
- Students will demonstrate how to drive their Hero Robot and use the robot arm to move the orange sensor to the volcano tile and lift the sensor to the top of the volcano.
- Students will demonstration collaboration and teamwork to participate in the Volcano Deposit! competition.
- In Play Part 1, students will be introduced to the Volcano tile on the Field, and learn how to move and lift a sensor to the Volcano. They will then demonstrate how to use the Drive tab and robot arm to successfully move and lift the orange sensor to the top of the volcano.
- During the Engage section, students will demonstrate their ability to be a good teammate in a Competition setting. During Play Part 1, they will demonstrate cooperation and collaboration as they take turns practicing for the competition, and then in Play Part 2, collaborate as a team to create a strategy and compete in the Volcano Deposit! competition.
- In Play Part 2, students will demonstrate how to drive their Hero Robot using the Drive tab to score points in the Volcano Deposit! competition, as they move and deliver the orange sensor to the Volcano, and then lift the sensor to the top of the Volcano.
- During Play Part 2, students will demonstrate collaboration and teamwork as they participate in matches together, applying a driving strategy, choosing a driver for their match. During the share section, students will discuss how they were a good teammate, and what they learned about being on a team that helped them be successful in the competition.
Connections to Standards
International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE)
ISTE (1.7) Global Collaborator - 1.7c: Students contribute constructively to project teams, assuming various roles and responsibilities to work effectively toward a common goal.
How Standard is Achieved: During the Engage section, students take on various roles to collaboratively build the Hero Robot from the build instructions. In Play Part 1, students alternate between roles of driving, setting and resetting the Field, and work together to determine a strategy for how to move and lift the orange sensor to the Volcano. In Play Part 2, students work together to score as many points as possible in the competition by moving the sensor on the Field during the match.