- To foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason.
- A prediction or value that is not exact.
- Gathering facts.
- A factor in a scientific experiment that may be subject to change.
- A rate of motion based on the distance traveled and the amount of time it took to travel that distance.
- Average speed
- The total distance traveled by the object divided by the elapsed time to cover that distance.
- The length moved by an object.
- The ability to change or move.
Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
The following are additional ways to facilitate vocabulary usage as students are engaged in the activities throughout this Unit.
Students should be encouraged to use the vocabulary terms:
- Throughout all of the activities
- As they are working in groups
- As they are reflecting
- As they are sharing their knowledge and experience
Tips for Encouraging Vocabulary Usage
Spot the Vocab!
Engage students in a game of Spot that Word. Write the Vocabulary words on the board. Start to give students a clue about the vocabulary word and see if they can identify the right one by your clue. SWITCH! Tell the students to give you a clue about a vocabulary word and see if you can guess based on the students clues. This is a great way to see if students are able to understand and explain the vocab words.
- I spy a word that is related to energy.
- I spy a word that is based on distance traveled over time.
Because the Unit talks about speed, encouraging students to be speedy at their vocabulary knowledge! Practice by giving students the definition and see who can tell you the correct word first. Students can continue to play this with one another during breaks verbally, or by seeing how fast they can write down the definition when they see the word on a piece of paper.