Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
Today, your team will get to investigate how the pendulum works using the iterative process of failing, and trying again, until you find a solution - but first you need to build the pendulum using directions. Let’s get building, VEX makers!
Facilitate the Build
- InstructInstruct students to join their team, and have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines sheet. Use the Suggested Role Responsibilities slide in the Lab Image Slideshow as a guide for students to complete this sheet.
Build Instructions to each team. Journalists should gather the materials on the checklist.
- Builders can begin building. If there are multiple builders, they should alternate steps to complete the build.
- Journalists should assist with build instructions as needed.
- OfferOffer suggestions and note positive team building and problem solving strategies as teams build together.
- If students are having trouble with the pins, offer the Pin Tool as a support.
- Tell students to take a 3 minute break and chat together about what it means to be a group, your group goals and how can you solve this problem.
- Instruct students to “Ask three before me.” Students should ask three other students any questions relating to the build before coming to the teacher to ask a question.
- Offer in the moment observation as teams work well, and invite them to share teamwork strategies with the class.