Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
We are going to build a Magnet Car to test different objects for magnetism. Then, we will use magnets to “power” our Magnet Car!
Facilitate the Build
- InstructInstruct students to join their team, and have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines Checklist. Use the Suggested Role Responsibilities slide in the Lab Image Slideshow as a guide for students to complete this sheet.
build instructions to each team. Journalists should gather the materials on the checklist.
- Builders can begin building.
- Journalists should assist with build instructions as needed and complete the Roles & Routines Checklist.
- OfferOffer suggestions and note positive team building and problem solving strategies as teams build together.
- Ask students to refer to their Robotics Roles and Routines in order to plan for how they will work together. What are their responsibilities?
- Familiarize yourself with the magnets you will be using that do not come with the kit. Determine which side is North and which side is South. This will be helpful when moving the Magnet Car.
- For the Play Part 2 activity, you can set up a challenge course for students by connecting Tiles in a 1X4 formation to create a long rectangle, then use tape to mark the start and the finish line of the challenge course. If using Tiles doesn’t work for your learning environment, simply use masking tape on the floor to mark the beginning and end of the challenge course. The starting point and finish line should be at least 1 Meter apart.