Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
Now that we know what the problem is, we can start to work on our solution! We will need a Code Base robot and an extension arm to gather up all this trash.
Facilitate the Build
- InstructInstruct students to join their team, and have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines Worksheet found in the materials needed list.
- DistributeDistribute VEX GO Kit and a set of Code Base build instructions to each team.
Builders can begin building the Code Base robot.
Journalists should gather the needed materials.
- OfferOffer suggestions and note positive team building and problem solving strategies as teams build together.
- Offer suggestions on the purpose of the creation such as, “what will this gear achieve?”
- Divide each group’s workspace into two areas. One will be for the Builder and another for the Journalist.
- Remind groups to keep their building areas separate from others.
Students may be tempted to work on two builds at once (the Code Base and the extension). Have each group raise their hands to show you their finished Code Base before allowing them to begin working on their designs for the extension.