Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
Let’s code our Code Base robot to turn!
Facilitate the Build
students to join their group, and have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines sheet. Use the Suggested Role Responsibilities slide in the Lab Image Slideshow as a guide for students to complete this sheet.
They should check to make sure all materials are in good working order. This could be established as a “Start Up” routine: check the Code Base build, make sure the Battery and the device are charged, and launch VEXcode GO.
pre-built Code Base robots or build instructions to each group. Journalists should gather the materials for the build if needed.
- FacilitateFacilitate the “Start Up” routine.
support to groups that need assistance in launching VEXcode GO. Remind students to check to make sure that the cables are inserted into the correct ports.
- Establish a consistent “start up” practice as routine before working with VEX GO. If it is consistently implemented, students will take ownership of this routine and it will foster good practices for independent robotics activities.
- Use the Get Ready...Get VEX...GO! PDF Book and Teacher’s Guide - If students are new to VEX GO, read the PDF book and use the prompts in the Teacher’s Guide to facilitate an introduction to building and using VEX GO before beginning the Lab activities. Students can join their groups and gather their VEX GO Kits, and follow along with the building activity within the book as you read.
- Use the Teacher’s Guide to facilitate student engagement. To focus on VEX GO connections in a more concrete or tangible way, use the Share, Show, or Find prompts on each page to give students an opportunity to get to know their kits in more depth.
- To focus on the habits of mind that support building and learning with VEX GO, like persistence, patience, and teamwork, use the Think prompts on each page to engage students in conversations about mindset and strategies to support successful group work and creative thinking.
- To learn more about using the PDF book and accompanying Teacher’s Guide as a teaching tool any time you are using VEX GO in your classroom, see this Knowledge Base article.