Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
We are going to build an Inclined Plane to see how the height of an incline and the force of gravity can impact the distance traveled by an object.
Facilitate the Build
students to join their group, and prepare to build the Incline Plan. Have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines sheet. Use the Suggested Role Responsibilities slide in the Lab Image Slideshow as a guide for students to complete this sheet.
- DistributeDistribute build instructions to each team. Journalists should gather the materials.
- Builders can begin building. If there are multiple builders, they should alternate steps to complete the build.
- Journalists should assist with build instructions as needed and document all Lab results.
- OfferOffer suggestions and note positive team building and problem solving strategies as teams build together.
- If students are having trouble with the pins, offer the Pin Tool as support.
- Ensure the Red Pins are facing the correct direction in the build for the ramp to be attached.
- Ensure students are aware that three different heights of the Inclined Plane need to be built, not just one.
- Ensure that the Inclined Plane is placed on the same surface for the different measurements. Changing the surface could impact the measurement.
- It is encouraged to place the Inclined Plane on a smooth surface such as a desk or tiled floor. Placing it on a rough surface such as a carpet could impact the distance traveled of the Blue Wheel.