Launch the Engage Section
ACTS is what the teacher will do and ASKS is how the teacher will facilitate.
Getting the Students Ready to Build
Let’s build the Code Base if it is not built already, and review our ‘Start Up’ routine. Then, we can see how to use code to drive the Code Base.
Facilitate the Build
- InstructInstruct students to join their group, and have them complete the Robotics Roles & Routines sheet. Use the Suggested Role Responsibilities slide in the Lab Image Slideshow as a guide for students to complete this sheet.
build instructions to each group.
the building process and a 'Start Up' routine for working with the Code Base.
- Builders and Journalists should begin building based on their responsibilities in the Lab 2 Image Slideshow.
- Circulate around the room to help students with building or reading instructions where needed. Ask questions about how the build is being constructed to keep all students engaged in the buildings process, and remind students to follow their Role Responsibilities if they need help taking turns.
- If working with a pre-built Code Base, have students collect their Code Bases and Kits and walk them through a whole class check to make sure they are ready for the Lab activities, by asking questions like:
- Is your Battery connected to the Orange Battery Port on the Brain?
- Is the Right Motor plugged into Port 1 and the Left Motor plugged into Port 4?
- Is the Code Base built properly and not missing any pieces? Check your build against the last step of the Build Instructions to ensure your Code Base is built correctly.
- OfferOffer support to groups that need assistance with the build and the 'Start Up' routine.
- This Lab uses the same course as Lab 1. Keep the course set up from Lab 1 if possible. If not, set up the course before class. See the Lab 2 Image Slideshow for the layout if necessary. The suggested slalom course uses Tiles for the base and Yellow Connectors, Orange Beams, and Red Pins to create the slalom gates. The course can also be replicated using masking tape, plastic cups, or other classroom items as needed!
- If using a pre-built Code Base for this Lab, have groups perform the 'Start Up' routine during the Engage section, then move on to the activity in Play.